To setup your POP3 email account in Mozilla Thunderbird, follow these instructions.
To Set up Email in Outlook
- Open Mozilla Thunderbird. From the Tools menu, select Account Settings.
- Select Email Account and then click Next.
- Enter Your Name and E-mail Address.
- Select POP as the type of incoming server you are using.
Use the settings below your incoming and outgoing servers (replacing yourdomain.com with your actual domain name):
POP3 Incoming mail server mail.yourdomain.com Outgoing mail server (SMTP) mail.yourdomain.com
- Enter your email address for the Incoming User Name, and Outgoing User Name. Click Next.
- Enter a name for your email account and click Next.
- Verify your account information and click Finish.
- In the Account Settings window, select Outgoing Server listed below your new account
- Click edit and change the Port setting to 587
- The Connection Security should be set to STARTTLS
- The Authentication Method should be set to Normal Password
- Click OK to accept the changes and click OK again to save all settings
That's it. Go ahead and check your email. To make sure you can send messages, try composing an email and sending it to yourself.If these settings fail to allow you to send email then the most likely cause is with your ISP. They may require you to use their SMTP settings. This is becoming more common as the ISP prefers sending of email through their network to reduce spam, viruses, etc.
If you don't already know the settings you will need to contact the ISP for settings and any further assistance. In some cases you will need to plug in the SMTP setting, enable "My server requires authentication", and in the Advance settings insert the Username and Password issued by the ISP.
Mail Setting Notes
Note 1: All config settings should be entered in lower case
Note 2: Be sure the option "My server requires authentication" is enabled
It is recommend that all email account users implement strong passwords. A strong password will help prevent spammers and others from hijacking your email account by guessing your password.
Guessing a password typically occurs when a spammer uses a script utility, initiating what's called a Dictionary Attack, and is able to guess a users email password. This occurs most often when a user has set a simple password, which is easy for spam utilities to guess such as "testing" or "abc123".
- Make your password lengthy
- Use 8 characters or more
- Combine letters and numbers
- Use words and phrases that are easy for you to remember, but difficult for others to guess
- Avoid sequences or repeated characters